Buddhist Temples

Dharmarajika Bauddha Vihara

Dharmarajika Bauddha Vihara the first Buddhist vihara (monastery) in DHAKA, was established in 1960 at the initiative of BISHUDDHANANDA MAHATHERA. It acts as the cultural and regional centre of Bangladeshi Buddhists. For over four decades it has been the religious centre for both local and foreign Buddhists living in Dhaka. The Dharmarajik Pali College was established here in 1960.

The first foreign head of state to visit the vihara was King Bhumibol of Thailand who visited it along with his wife, Queen Sirikit, in 1962. On the occasion of their visit, a large prayer hall, named after ATISH DIPANKAR SRIJNAN, was built at the vihara.

Subsequently, several dignitaries from home and abroad, and professing different religions, have visited this centre. The vihara has a large collection of Buddha statues. Among them are a massive, 10' high, bronze statue given in 1984 by Thailand and another golden statue, 2'-8" high, given by Japan.

 

 

{/ac}

Contact Us

Bangladesh High Commission

EP-39, Dr. S. RadhaKrishnan Marg, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi, Delhi 110021

Phone - 011 2412 1389-94

Email : bdhcdelhi@gmail.com 

Fax- (91-11)26878953

Copyright © {2015} Bangladesh High Commission. All Rights Reserved.

Designed by MRN Productions 

JoomShaper